The Brick Box celebrated the 2015 August bank holiday weekend with a superpowers themed festival in Upton Park. Commissioned by Newham Council, we had a brilliant day launching the first Green Street Festival with a Pow! Wham!! BANG!!!
Here’s what happened…
- BOY BLUE! Homegrown talent Kendrick Sandy brought his electric company to perform on his old stomping ground. Boy Blue Entertainment is an award-winning hip-hop dance company founded by choreographer Kenrick H2O Sandy and composer Michael Mikey J Asante. Their breakthrough into the mainstream came with the production Pied Piper, originally presented at the Theatre Royal Stratford East, before transferring to the Barbican where they are currently Associate Artists. The production won the Laurence Olivier Award for Outstanding Dance Production. Through the establishment of Boy Blues highly respected education and training programme in East London, the company has built a safe haven for young people who wish to come together, explore music and dance and in engage in the arts.
- Workshops with Maya Productions, trainee superheros refined their skills and learnt some new power moves
- Enuki Entertainment revealed the mysteries behind the Orisha Gods, originally rooted in Yoruba culture they showed the journey of the Gods using African, Brazilian and contemporary moves.
- Superhero Costume Making, from custom capes to magic cuffs
- Face Painting with Funky Doodles!
- Art Terry’s Kazoo Orchestra! A merry band with uplifting songs.
- Display by East London Wing Chung school
- From Bulgaria to India there were traditional dance performances from around the world provided from local dance schools across Newham